FAQ  •  Login

"Life is... FULL of temptation."

Moderator: The Mod Squad

<<

ZimMan2

Skippy Underpants

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:43 pm

"Life is... FULL of temptation."

I'm surprised no one has pointed this out. The Joker is talking about temptation, and offer Harley an apple. Coupled with the satire of the WWJD T-shirt.....

anyone else picking up on this?
Me Grimlock am wanting to own movie theater. Me Grimlock would say "WHAT MOVIE YOU WANT SEE?!?!" and customers say "HOLY SH*T, ROBT DINOSAUR!" and run away.

I am the man with no name,..... Zapp Branigain.

I CAN HAZ YOU FACE?!?!?!
<<

TunaSandwitch

Crazier Than You Since 1992

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 12:52 pm

Re: "Life is... FULL of temptation."

Taking a bite of the forbidden fruit...good catch!
<<

ZimMan2

Skippy Underpants

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 2:02 pm

Exactly! It seems like there's more and more big ideas like this creeping thier way into the series. I have no idea if it was intentional, but this could be read so deeply, and it only goes on for about a second or two.

Harley is, well, a girl (take you all day to figure that one out?), and she's being tempted by something evil to eat the apple, more than a nod, it's a direct paralell. The question is, do you read it as the Joker just being the agent of temptation, or, because of his shirt, as also the new leader of the world? Trying to make it a better place?

Again, it all goes by in about three seconds, so maybe I'm reading too much into it.
Me Grimlock am wanting to own movie theater. Me Grimlock would say "WHAT MOVIE YOU WANT SEE?!?!" and customers say "HOLY SH*T, ROBT DINOSAUR!" and run away.

I CAN HAZ YOU FACE?!?!?!
<<

TunaSandwitch

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:07 pm

Well, I think it fits perfectly. In the Old Testament, the snake offers Eve the forbidden fruit. She's not supposed to take it, but as soon as she does, the entire universe changes. Before, there once was only goodness in the world, but now there's evil, too. It parallel's Harley's situation very nicely. Her little 'world' has never encountered 'evil' before she met the Joker. It was just her and Guy running slow-motion towards each other in a field of flowers, you know? As soon as she takes that apple, there's no going back. Her fate is now forever intertwined with the Joker's.

That, or we're both thinking too deeply into this.
<<

ZimMan2

Skippy Underpants

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:11 pm

Exactly. Three seconds of video, and we get two paragraphs of allegory.

The point is, this series always kicked ass, and it still kicks ass, and it always will kick ass.

Fu*k Fred, this should be the biggest thing on YouTube.

I CAN HAZ YOU FACE?!?!?!
<<

TunaSandwitch

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:11 pm

HELL'S YEAH! :D
<<

mldrfan

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 3:23 pm

ZimMan2 wrote:Fu*k Fred, this should be the biggest thing on YouTube.

You read my mind!

I've loved that part of the video, of all the blogs since I saw it the first time. The blogs are so full of symbolism, deeper meanings, etc. I never really expected to ever see something on YouTube that actually made me think....I never thought I'd be watching and re-watching something and constantly finding new things/view points/aspects/what have you, before I saw the Blogs...I'm just always in awe.

I made this and used it for a while, because I loved that part so much:
<<

Claudia

The Great Old One
The Great Old One

Post Sun Sep 27, 2009 5:36 pm

I liked the parallel to the Fall of Man. It reminds us that while evil deeds might not have been perpetrated yet, the capacity to do evil is always there, dormant. Eve had free will and could, if she chose to, disobey God by eating the apple. Harley could easily step into Joker's world if she wanted to. Interesting that she refused his apple. It kind of had to be that way, I suppose, because a scene teeming with that much symbolism would have to follow through with that symbolism. Any other outcome wouldn't satisfy.
<<

Sydpart2

Anti-conventional existential nihilist

Post Thu Feb 25, 2010 7:04 pm

I caught that right away, didn't even think about posting it though, just thought it was obvious...
"Man is condemned to be free; because once thrown into the world, he is responsible for everything he does."

Return to An Apple a Day